ADVANTAGES : • Plants are fertilized naturally with fish byproducts
• Solid waste from aquacultural production is effectively neutralized
• The constantly recycling and reuse of water reduces water usage
• Aquaponics systems lead to less adverse environmental impact compared to traditional methods
• More crops are able to be cultivated in less space compared to traditional methods Some of the disadvantages may include:
• High start-up investment costs for aquaponics technology and equipment
• Aquaponics systems include several places where dysfunction could lead to failure of the whole system (and loss of fish)
• Several variables are involved in the configuration of aquaponics systems (construction, aquatic conditions, surrounding environmental factors, etc.), leading to difficulties in predicting ideal conditions for any given system.